Thursday, September 4, 2008

A Mooncake Tea Pairing session for Flickr Food bloggers (Sept 03 2008)

okay!!! I fess!!! the reason why I started this blog is because I wanted to go for the "A Moon Cake Tea Pairing session for Flickr Food bloggers" hehehe Yes yes yes, I am a greedy pig :D No doubts about that.

I had enjoyed myself alot that night... didn't know there are sooooooooo much stuffs on different bloggers!!! hehe The Company was good, the St Regis People were fantastic... Bte there is the Manager @ the Yan Ting, who seemed to be able to cook VERY well. Entertain us with lots of cooking tips ! like some hairy fur or something for water retention... I am really a pig, not only am I greedy! I am also forgetful. *groans* I so need to find out what the name of the chinese herb is.

The Men! - (DSC_1698)
The Chefs are the one who are making the mooncakes... try not to kidnap them now.... I had not placed my orders yet!!! Must wait till I have my hands on a few boxes frist!!!
The St Regis Mini Snow Skin MoonCake Selection - (DSC_1706)
And this is a shot I stole from another food blogger!!! hahaha You can find her on one of my link! I was too shy to take a piece of everything frist and put in the way she had.... *YEAH SURE* so i just sneaked a picture of her *heeehee*. Anyway, that plate represent the whole selection of Mini Snow Skin Mooncake St Regis Singapore had came up with this year. Plenty of choices for me to choose ! But... as there are too many of the mooncakes we are going to try, I am not going into details for all of them... except those I had deep impressions with.
Almond Snow skin With Premium Bird's Nest and Custard Paste - (DSC_1603)
Almond Snow skin With Premium Bird's Nest and Custard Paste - (DSC_1704)
Almond Snow skin With Premium Bird's Nest and Custard Paste
Hmm I am wondering... does Gold has a taste... the golden glitter thing on the skin is GOLD!!! Gosh! I could have scrapped it off for a mini tasting frist!!! Not that I don't like gold... but on food, seemed slightly oh so slightly too much. I am just going to skip the skin and the Bird's nest *yes yes I can hear how these two are important elements of this thing.. blah blah blah* but the custard paste hmmm yummy, it was just nice, wasn't too sweet, something I feel a chef had put much effort into making, rather than using an instant mix (of course I could be wrong).
Seven Perfumes Snow Skin with Single Yolk and White Lotus Paste - (DSC_1711)
Seven Perfumes Snow Skin with Single Yolk and White Lotus Paste
This is supposingly good for people who prefered reduced sugar mooncake. I know I know... this doesn't look like snow skin, but the manager, Danny assured us that the color is due to the Seven Perfumes Tea (the smell of the tea was fantastic) used in making this mooncake.
Almond Snow Skin with Advocaat Egg Liqueur Truffle and Black Sesame Paste -  (DSC_1649)
Almond Snow Skin with Advocaat Egg Liqueur Truffle and Black Sesame Paste -  (DSC_1643)
Almond Snow Skin with Advocaat Egg Liqueur Truffle and Black Sesame Paste
I am not a black anything person! but this Black sesame paste was gorgeous!!! I wish I had taken the last piece.... *time to buy BUY AND BUY*
Bloody Mary Snow Skin with Custard Paste - (DSC_1662)
Bloody Mary Snow Skin with Custard Paste - (DSC_1723)
Bloody Mary Snow Skin with Custard Paste
This was supposed to be THE highlight of the night. But I didn't actually enjoy it. It might had been made with an unique concept, but it just wasn't my type. I was hearing about the "kick" after having this mooncake, but I didn't experience it.... BECAUSE I had a sip of the wonderful tea that was served along with each mooncake!!! :p But I tot it would be unfair, if I judge the mooncake without giving the "kick" a try... yeah! there was a kick, but not hard enough to change my mind about it.
Seven Perfumes Snow Skin with Martell Cordon Bleu Cognac Truffle and White Lotus paste - (DSC_1680)
*heee* I Stole this shot from SFF again!!! :P been stealing shots from her the whole night. :d
Seven Perfumes Snow Skin with Martell Cordon Bleu Cognac Truffle and White Lotus paste - (DSC_1737)
Seven Perfumes Snow Skin with Martell Cordon Bleu Cognac Truffle and White Lotus paste
Almond Snow Skin with Martell Cordon Bleu Cognac Truffle and Custard Paste - (DSC_1745)
Almond Snow Skin with Martell Cordon Bleu Cognac Truffle and Custard Paste - (DSC_1675)
Almond Snow Skin with Martell Cordon Bleu Cognac Truffle and Custard Paste
Then we have the TRADITIONAL Baked Mooncakes!!!!
Single Yolk and Golden Lotus Seed Paste - (DSC_1631)
Single Yolk and Golden Lotus Seed Paste (this has darker colored paste)
Single Yoke and White Lotus Seed Paste - (DSC_1788)
Single Yoke and White Lotus Seed Paste - (DSC_1762)
Single Yolk and White Lotus Seed Paste
Double Yolk And Black sesame Paste - (DSC_1637)
Double Yolk And Black sesame Paste - (DSC_1794)
Double Yolk And Black sesame Paste
Jin Hua Ham and Assorted Nuts and Seeds - (DSC_1815)
Jin Hua Ham and Assorted Nuts and Seeds - (DSC_1615)
Jin Hua Ham and Assorted Nuts and Seeds
My overall experience of this event.... I think the different cups of tea they had served along with each individual mooncake has indeed enhanced the experience of having the mooncakes. Unlike a normal household, I think a pot of Tea would have to be used for ALL the mooncakes.
But for a Sweet tooth greedy pig like me, I think I will go for the St Regis Snow Skin mini mooncake, but stick to my Traditional ones from BIG CHINA!!! hehehe
And one thing that will definitely lure me back to Yan Ting is
DSC_1858
The ingredients for my favorite tea!!! :D
Do take a look at my Flickr, which I had posted up more pictures from the event :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahaha. Same sentiments, i was wondering about the taste of gold when i was eating the bird nest mooncake. i also didn't particularly enjoy the bloody mary one. but i liked the seven perfume skin very fragrant.