Wednesday, January 7, 2009

El Toro Restro Bar (4th Jan 2009)

The Mexican food place


the place - DSC_0341 copy

I had this craving for mexican food... The thing is I had not seen good reviews of mexican food. :p BUT i must MUST have mexican food, so I decided to go to El Toro Restro Bar.

There is the Set menu .... and we ordered one of it.

Platter of Chips and salsa
the chips were "homemade" but then I prefer those that mass produced.
These were slightly thicker and had a rather "oily" feel and taste to them.
The salsa wasn't to my liking... maybe I am just too used to the bottled stuffs.

Platter of Chips and salsa - DSC_0366



Platter of Chips and salsa with mixed cheese

Platter of Chips and salsa with mixed cheese - DSC_0371 copy

El Toro Chef's salad with balsamic vinaigrette
I skipped this dish... I am not a fan of vegetable... no matter how I tried them.. they always taste the same... it's just another veggie...

El Toro Chef's salad with balsamic vinaigrette - DSC_0363 copy

Mac 'N' Cheese
This had to be one of the better food here... but it's only the cheese that's good... the mac... is just okay.


Mac 'N' Cheese - DSC_0427 copy

Main course
Herb roasted chicken, Roasted Beef and Roasted Lamb and roasted potato served with mint jelly and Espanol sauce
The chicken breast was not my favorite piece of meat, the roasted beef and lamb were too hard.... okie.. this dish wasn't my favorite of the day.


Main course - DSC_0424


Assorted Tapas
a) Grilled chilli calamari with a creole rub
b) Grilled dory fish with a ceviche sauce
c) Thinly Sliced beef rolled with capsicum & onions
d) Grilled eggplant with cherry tomatoes and drizzled with aglio-olio
e) Melon rolled in Prosciutto and drizzled with olive oil

I didn't like the placement of the food for this dish. It seemed so crowded...
But I think the grilled chilli calamri with a creole rub was good, the rest are so so. Maybe by the time they had served this dish, I was quite full.

Assorted Tapas - DSC_0440


The place
This place had a rather good feel... I do like the surrounding and the setting of the place. Feel that I am not in Singapore.


The seating - DSC_0347


Nachos Del Grande
Home made tortilla chips topped with cheese, beans, pineapple, tomato, onions, black olives served with jalapenos. This baked dish was served with extra hot dripping with cheese.
This dish was one of the better nachos I had. Though the chips can be better. But the cheese and everything else covered the "bad" taste of the chips. There is a little amount of beans involved so... don't worry about the gas.

Nachos Del Grande - DSC_0395


Chilli Con Queso
Melted cheddar cheese with onions, tomatoes, jalapenos served with home made tortilla chips.
The cheddar cheese wasn't great... along with the home made tortilla chips.... this was a "might-as-well-forget-banned-to-the-kitchen-forever" dish.


Chilli Con Queso - DSC_0377


Guaramole
I looooooooove Guaramole... I made them myself at home... and this is much better than the version i made myself :P and slightly spicier.


Guaramole - DSC_0383



Soft Tacos
Corn tortillas filled up with sirloin steak . Onions, tomatoes, cheese and served with Mexican rice and drizzled with cilantro oil.


Soft Tacos - DSC_0400


My Taco
And I made this!! without the help of anyone *proud* haha :p
Anyway this was okay. The sirloin steak is slightly dry and rough... well the mexican feel?


My Taco - DSC_0411





Churros Cubanos
Churros Cubanos drizzled with a chocolate ganache and cinnamon dust.
okie.. I loooooooooooooooooooove churros... but this is rather disappointing.
I like churros harder and not with the texture of bread. If it's toast texture, it would still be okay. But it was soft.

Churros Cubanos - DSC_0455


The Doggie bag
As the food weren't that great... we basically packed a big portion of it home... hopefully we will find people who are more appreciative of it. or the chances of pushing it to the back of fridge and letting it rot without us noticing would be MUCH higher!! :p


The Doggie bag - DSC_0447


Not the best place to have mexican food... but then there isn't much good mexican food places in Singapore in the frist place....

4 comments:

mkia said...

oh, just blog-hopping.

funnily enough the food u had doesn't seem 'too mexican'.. haha..

how about cha cha cha @ Lorong Mambong? ..but I heard the standard kind of dropped already.

Margarita's @ Faber Drive would have fared better, I think.

MissyGlutton said...

CT :) thanks for hopping by.

oh! the food is quite mexican to me. :P yeah i do want to go to Cha Cha Cha and try. Margarita...okie got it. I will go try both one of these days.

Anonymous said...

Hi MissyGlutton.

This is a rep from El toro. I just want to note that we are not a Mexican restaurant, We are Latin which basically means we have influences from all over, including Mexican.

However we do appreciate your honest opinion and as "the customer is always right," we will continue to work on the standard of the food. I hope someday that you get to travel to other countries where it's easy to get "Latin/Mexican" ingredients where you will learn more flavors other than what we can offer here in Singapore. :)

Thank you again for you honesty and nice pictures. You have quite an eye for composition. What kind of camera do you use?

Thanks again and hopefully someday you'll be back. Please feel free to contact me directly with any enquiries.

Regards,

Jacqueline
Jacqueline.r@capitalblu.com.sg

MissyGlutton said...

Hi Jacqueline;

: ) thank you for being so nice.
I do enjoy some of your stuffs. I seriously doubt I would fare well in a “Latin / Mexican” restaurant. I personally prefer italian food. I would love to travel to other countries to experience more flavors.

You are very welcome. And thank you once again for your compliments.
I am using a Nikon D200 at the moment, I think with a 50mm f1.4 lens on my visit your restaurant.

Yes I will definitely be back with some of my frens, maybe you or your staff would be able to recommend us some dishes to try.

Missy Glutton.