Saturday, January 17, 2009

Lao Beijing 老北京食堂 (Plaza Singapura) (16th Jan 2009)

Eight Treasure tea 八宝茶


Eight Treasure tea 八宝茶 - DSC_1407 copy




I like Eight treasure tea. I don't this version of it? Why? I felt it too light. The taste ain't there, it's like plain water with a pinch of seasoning... I tried putting the tea aside, so to brew it slightly longer. Instead of tea with heavier taste, i got cold water with some hints of tea in it.



Roasted meat


Roasted meat - DSC_1410 copy


We were served with some pork jerky or bak kau to try.... I think a better choice would be not to bring it out to let us know what's not good about it. I prefer mine slightly flatter, a bit more charred, and maybe a bit put in the microwave before taking it to be served? I doubt i will get any take out of this.



Deep-fried Silver Bait with seven spices 七味银鱼




Deep-fried Silver Bait with seven spices 七味银鱼 - DSC_1432



ahhh fried silver baits, I do like this type of snacks. I grew to like these after having quite a bit of them during my regular trips to HK. These are battered too much, the batter was too thick, there wasn't enough of seven spices to toss these properly to give it a better taste than what it had.


Steamed Juicy Meat Buns 小龙汤包


Steamed Juicy Meat Buns 小龙汤包 - DSC_1433



Xiao Long bao... okie... I am quite the horrible person today. I didn't like this at all. The skin was thicker than what i like. The soup was less than I wanted. Even with vinegar... it did not improve my like of it.


Sliced Pork with Garlic 蒜泥白肉

Sliced Pork with Garlic 蒜泥白肉 - DSC_1429 copy



Sliced pork with Garlic I absolutely looooooooooooove this dish. Why? Cause it's SUPPOSED to be very thin slices of boiled pork bacon. HOWEVER, this dish is just lean pork! Gosh LEAN PORK!!! But I have to say the garlic sauce was quite good. But LEAN PORK!?!?!? *can't get over this lean pork thing...*


Braised Spinach Beancurd 翡翠豆腐


Braised Spinach Beancurd 翡翠豆腐 - DSC_1419


I always like this dish. I thought that this would be a good dish... but the spinach was pathetic little. The beancurd is too hard... the innards are full of holes and hard. I know some zi char places can cook better!




Pan-fried shrimp, pork and chives guotie 三鲜锅贴

Pan-fried shrimp, pork and chives guotie 三鲜锅贴 - DSC_1445


What else can go wrong... these were not in the pan long enough. The skin is rather thick...




Deep fried seabass with home made vinaigrette 醋浇金目鲈


Deep fried seabass with home made vinaigrette 醋浇金目鲈- DSC_1439


I think this fish is good deep fried and with vinaigrette. I cannot say if it's fresh or not. I had to say this is the best dish, just because it's crunchy and heavily seasoned with vinaigrette.



Lao Beijing... gosh... it had been such a while since I been there. Maybe it's the gut feeling in me that had prevent me from going there... or did this place never did impress me in the frist place.
Looking back at this meal, I saw alot of people in the place. Is it the cheaper food, or better food, or even the good service they provide? I believe it's a cheaper food, not better food or the rather inconsistent service.

5 comments:

bossacafez said...

gosh your pics are all so stunning! btw, do u facebook? =)

MissyGlutton said...

Evan :) ty so much.
yeah i do fb. :)

bossacafez said...

can i add u?

MissyGlutton said...

evan haha i write alot of nonesense in my fb. :) I don't mind if u don't mind :)

bossacafez said...

i hv equally much rubbish in my fb! of coz i don't mind, hope u won't too =) whats yr email? i add u!